Monday, September 26

Five Things You Might be Paying Too Much for... (and How to Pay Less)

That was a pretty aggressive title right? I've never really done a post like this so before we get into it let me make a few things clear. First, not everything may apply to you. Take it with a grain of salt. Second, these figures are based on my own experiences your own may differ. Third, I'm not saying the items I mention are the cheapest alternative on the market, but it maybe something that preferred to a generic or cheaper brand.


Just wanted to make that clear, now let's save some money.
                                                                 

1. Salon Quality Nail Polish
I will be the first to admit that I am a nail polish snob. I don't buy new polish often, but when I do I prefer brands like Essie and OPI. For me, someone who has trouble painting inside the lines, these brands go on smooth (read: easy) and last a long time (read: only have to change my polish once every 2-3 weeks). The problem is they cost $8 a bottle, at least. Ouch.


                                                                          Source: smallshopstudio.com via Lola on Pinterest


Get it for less: Lately, I've been choosing Ulta for my nail polish purchases. They often run buy 2 get 1 free specials that you can combine with the in-ad coupon (in the Sunday paper).Their standard coupon is $3.50 off a purchase of $10, but sometimes they will offer $5 off. That means you would pay $12.50 for 3 bottles of $8 nail polish. A savings of 48% 


2. Anything full price from Gap
I've always liked Gap, but if you've paid full price for anything from there you paid too much (no offense Gap). The retailer has been crazy promotional the last few months, I'm sure you've noticed if you receive their e-mails, which means big savings. 

Get it for less: As a big fan of their denim I've been using their end of season and random 50% off women's sales to purchase items like white skinny jeans and an pair of cropped denim leggings for $18 dollars total. You can save big too by keeping an eye on your e-mail for "additional % off" clearance events or that elusive 50% off all women's to stock up on their reliable basics (short sleeve/ long sleeve tee's) and denim in all kinds of cuts for less. 

3. Text Messaging
I can only speak to my experience with Verizon, but $20 a month is a lot to pay for unlimited use considering all the alternatives out there. Take a look at your cellphone bill and tell me there isn't an opportunity to trim some fat.


                                                                 Source: habituallychic.blogspot.com via Tessa on Pinterest

Get it for less: The person I text message the most also happens to be on gchat so by transitioning our normal conversations from text to gchat I was able to cut my text messaging plan down to $5/month. You can do the same by taking advantage of social media sites and instant messaging platforms to circumvent those high text messaging plans. Individual savings will vary. 

4. Victoria's Secret Underwear
This is kind of cheating because I've mentioned it before, but trust me it is worth repeating. I love Victoria's Secret underwear. I don't know about you, but I love it, especially the PINK line. I'm not exactly their target market these days, but let's face it they reeled me in as a coed and I really don't see myself buying underwear from anywhere else. That said, $8.50 for one pair is a little ridiculous especially when Hanes is selling a 5 pack for $10.

Get it for less: I know we are all privy to the the 5 for $25.50 sales. They are great sales but I'm talking less than that. Victoria's Secret sends out a lot of coupons especially for free pairs, but the best ones are the $10 off a $10 purchase. Match these $10 off coupons with a 5 for $25.50 sale and you've got yourself a deal. That's a savings of 61% 


5. Toothpaste
I know it's the end but stay with me here. Before we started couponing SSF and I were completely content baying $2-$3 for a tube of crest. We'll call that blissfully unaware. However, now as couponers, we couldn't imagine paying more than 50 cents. Seriously.


                                                                      Source: lovelypackage.com via Grace on Pinterest


Get it for less: This one does require a little more work than the others, in the form of clipping a few coupons and keeping an eye out for Buy One Get One Free deals,but once you can build a little stockpile it gets easier. There are coupons out there for all different brands, if you catch a BOGO free deal, use 2 $1.00 off coupons to lower the cost of your 1st tube. If you see more 2 for $4 sales at your store look for 75 cents off coupons (if your store doubles) to bring your final cost to 50 cents.

Now you tell me, what am I paying too much for?

sidenote: you really can find pictures of anything on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Money Smart Fashion!

disclosure policy