Tuesday, February 15

I need a $25,000 raise



I was crunching some numbers the other day (shocker) when I started thinking about a quote I read. I seriously can't remember where I saw it, who said it, or the exact wording, but it was along the lines of: There is a limit to how much you can save (as in cutting expenses) but there is no limit on what you can earn. The ultimate piece in the personal finance puzzle: earning more.

It kind of resonated with me for the first time. SSF and I always worry about money and how we are going to save enough and slashing expenses all over the place when the real question we should be asking ourselves is "how can we earn more?"

I did some quick math taking into account out current expenses (house, cars, food, his student loans, utilities etc) and then added in my future student loan payments. Next I built in a comfortable standard of living for us. Meaning, I added in how much I would want to have for contributing to retirement accounts each month, entertainment, and savings. With all that factored in I came to the conclusion that SSF and I need a $25,000 raise. While maybe the whole math part sounded fun to some of you(SSF), the real fun begins now. As in trying to figure out where an additional 25 large is going to come from. I thought of a few possibilities (the lottery, gambling, letting someone harvest my eggs) but something tells me those aren't viable streams of income. At the same time I don't really have any special skills (I can't paint, sew, or make music of any kind-I'm lucky enough that so many of you actually read this blog, have I mentioned-thank you?). That leaves me with either getting a promotion and raise, like now, or possibly taking on a part-time job.

What about guys? What do you do for extra income?


[image]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Money Smart Fashion!

disclosure policy