Thursday, January 21

Struggling...

I have been really anxious lately, and kind of depressed thinking about my financial situation. Hence, the shades of black and gray I wore the other day. (Yes, I'm smiling in this picture, but how could I not 50 degrees and sunny!)

I have been thinking a lot lately about my mountains of student loan debt coupled with the balances I still have on some of my credit cards. I know I totally get how counter-productive it is for me to be shopping when I owe so much, but I can't help it.

Last night I got to the point where I almost had an anxiety attack in bed thinking about how astronomical my monthly payments will be once I get out of grad school in 2 years. In a change of pace I woke up this morning feeling slightly empowered. Something has to be done, and I am the only one that can do  anything.

I know logically I need to get rid of my remaining credit card debt before I even start to think about my student loans (higher interest). I've decided to allocate $100 a month (half) of my shopping budget to additional payments on my credit cards. In addition to the $100, any other extra money I can get my hands on will be going to them. If there is one thing I know its that I need to get rid of this stuff before I graduate.

In addition, I've started looking into options for consolidation for my federal loans. SSBF just went through the process to have his payments reduced thanks to IBR, income based repayment,  and he is now paying only $105/month, or something like that. There is no real rush for this part of the process given my in-school deferment however I would like to take advantage of the rock bottom interest rates.

Writing this out makes me feel a little better, but I know I still have a long way to go.



-Cowl Neck Sweater, Gap
-Vest, Gap
-Gray Skinny Jeans, Old Navy
-Boots, Zigi Soho, DSW (of course)
- Sunglasses, Ray Ban

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Money Smart Fashion!

disclosure policy